From 1 November 2018 in Queensland a 10 cent refund can be obtained by returning certain drink containers to a participating container refund point. Most aluminum, glass, PET, HDPE, steel and paperboard drink containers between 150ml and 3L will be eligible. These will carry a special refund mark (after a period of transition).
These containers are NOT eligible:
- Any container smaller than 150mL or bigger than 3L
- plain milk containers
- glass containers which have contained wine or pure spirits
- large containers (1L or more) which have contained flavoured milk, pure juice, cask wine or cask water
- cordial or vegetable juice containers
- sachets above 250ml which have contained wine
- registered health tonics
The scheme aims to:
- reduce litter from discarded drink containers, mostly plastic, left in open air settings such as parks, beaches, malls and car parks
- improve the State’s low recycling rate by motivating people to collect and return empty containers to collection points, and motivate recycling where there is no kerbside recycling.
More at: www.qld.gov.au/environment/pollution/management/waste/container-refund-about