Not knowing where to start with your eco journey can be half the battle of choosing better for the planet, howeverwhen it comes to parties for little ones, Funki Trunki is about to make where to start a little easier for you. Here’s a few tips to start with:
1. Avoid the single use disposable plastic items:Try re-usable plates or there are bio-degradable options that are made from corn starch or even bamboo.
2. Have a left-over food plan: Try stick to finger foods so your guests won’t need to use cutleries or plates. Also plan portions per guest. If your guests don’t have much of an appetite, try packing them as doggy bags or perhaps fun school lunches.
3. Re-think your party décor: Instead of the plastic options, why not try any of the following:
a. Reusable cloth or paper bunting: Also stick to generic items, so you can reuse them later.
b. Reusable paper fans or lantern
c. Decorate with plants and flowers: If they’re pot plants – even better!
4. Go digital with your invitations: Instead of the traditional paper invites that goes straight into landfill, why not create an event on Facebook or send digital invites as an email or text, where you can also explain you’ll be having an eco-party, as it will help guests understand your non-traditional choices.
5. Insist on sustainable gifts or even a fiver party: Wrapping paper can incredibly wasteful, as kids just rip through them and toss them. You can ask parents to wrap gifts with old newspaper or have them unwrapped and placed in basket for the birthday child to open and go through later in the day.
You can also opt for a fiver party, where guests bring $5 that will go towards one big gift. It’s an option that is sometimes easier and cheaper for guests.
If you prefer someone just to do it all for you and clean up at the end of the day, well, I know a couple of girls that can help with that too. Funki Trunki is an eco-party supplier and for every milestone party we help in celebrating, we also plant a tree in their honour.
Join us with the Plastic Free July challenge and register yourself. Link below: